Pages

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Authority Song

One of my minor pet peeves is when I am not used to my full advantage. (Get your minds out of the gutter, please.) There are several subjects I consider myself to be the authority on or, at least, more knowledgeable than most. It's not a cocky, self-righteous thing but only that in some situations, I know I know more than the other people.

Last year, a lady in my office had a daughter who was going through the whole college process of visiting them, applying, taking AP tests, etc. I overheard countless conversations between her and the other people in my office but not once did anyone think to ask the person here who most recently graduated from college. And not only had I recently graduated from college but I majored in two extremely different fields and did an extra year at a large university. AP Tests? I took 5, I think. How could I not be asked about these things? I'm not saying this in a bragging way but only that my experience was varied and at that moment, I could have served as the authority this woman needed on college.

There are several TV shows I should always be consulted on: Friends, Alias, Gilmore Girls, The O.C., My So-Called Life, and Dawson's Creek. If I don't know the answer then your next step should be the internet.

Music. I get outwardly annoyed when someone nearby is discussing music and does not ask for my input. "Who wrote that song that goes bum bum daaaa?" And then they all stand there and have no idea and I'm sitting there, "Ask me, idiots. I know!" Now, obviously I do not know everything and would never claim to but, in a lot of cases (especially when at work), I know I know more than they do and yet they still don't ask me.

Am I alone in feeling this way? Maybe I'm better at using my resources than the other people in my office;) It's like they all stand around asking the same question but never realizing the correct person to ask. If I had a question about the violin, Dr. Quinn or Tropico, I would ask Ali. If I had a question about dam removal, Texas, or DC areas, I would ask Serena. Steven would be my go-to man for Harry Potter, music things I don't know, and Thundercats. Anna could answer any and all questions concerning cooking, Conor Oberst, and The Triangle. Vanessa's got me covered with monkeys, Richmond bouncers, and Edenpark.

So, in the future, be sure to use me as a resource when appropriate. I wish I could tell this to my officemates.

8 comments:

rooroo said...

if i had anything i needed to know about musical instruments, i would totally ask you.

people should ask me about fishing, dunkin' donuts, survivor, some car stuff, and eminem.

minijonb said...

why are you waiting for people to ask you? you need to stamp your authority on every conversation!!! let people know about how much of a pop culture goddess you really are regardless of if they ask you or not... they'll thank you for it later.

Jennifer said...

Good to know there's someone out there who can help with Friends Trivia! I'll remember your blog the next time I'm stumped when someone asks me, "Have you seen the one where..."

dara said...

I know how you feel. A couple years ago, my sister hurt her knee in a skiing accident and my mom was talking about suing the resort. I told her she couldn't, because, like everyone else, my sister signed a liability waiver. My mom was like "What do you know?"

Uh, duh, Mom, but I did graduate from law school. Just sayin'.

audrey said...

I can only suggest always volunteering information. It may make you look like a know it all but who cares? If they weren't going to ask you in the first place they deserve to feel put out.

Did Jen die of AIDS in Dawson's Creek? How did the last ep pan out? I can't be bothered looking on the tinterweb for the synopsis. Help me o scarlet one!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Just chip in and tell them what you know.

Don't wait for them to ask.

Once they realise you are an authority, they'll start coming to you for info.

That's when you start charging...

Unknown said...

You should print this post and tack it up somewhere ; )

Miss Scarlet said...

Roo Roo- Car stuff? Mine's shaking a little. Can I just ignore that?

Minijonb- I AM a pop culture goddess!!!

Jennifer- Seriously...ask me. If I don't know then my sister will.

Dara- That's hilarious. I love schooling people.

Audrey- Heart condition.

Ultra- I like the idea of charging.

Ant- Respect! Exactly.

Flameon- I should, seriously.