Pages

Monday, June 26, 2006

The Sporting Life

Soccer? What soccer?

Who cares about soccer when WIMBLEDON is starting!? The four tennis Grand Slams of the year are each like mini Christmases for me.

US Open: My favorite of the Grand Slams and the most fun to watch. Hard hitting tennis, awesome fans, and colorful outfits. I WILL go to this ASAP. I always started my fall semesters off behind because I spent the first two weeks of them watching tennis 24/7. My freshman year, my roommate pretty much thought I was insance because I would sit there for hours on end watching the US Open matches. The following years, she had gotten a little more used to it but I think she was still a little freaked out by my obsession.

Wimbledon: As a former Pete Sampras mega-fan, how could I not love this tournament? It's proper with an all-white (clothing!) rule, yet fast tennis and the trademark grass that gets so worn by the end of the two weeks. And I love the traditions of bowing to the royalty in their box and of course, strawberries and cream which is made into a story every year for someone like Bud Collins to cover. One year, when I was younger, I convinced my mom to get HBO for the month so I could watch every match.

Australian Open: I like this one bc it's another hard-hitting tournament and of course, the accents are fun. It's always so bright though and their constant reminders of the heat make it a little less fun to watch than the US Open which is it's closest counterpart. This one always has a lot of upsets because it's the first Slam of the year and of course it's where Monica Seles (another favorite) won after coming back from being stabbed.

French Open: My least favorite open but that's like picking a least favorite type of pizza-they're all good. I love to watch the players slide on the clay but the rallies can get way too long. Plus, Pete Sampras always made me nervous when he played there.

My obsession for tennis weakened a little bit once I started working a lot and didn't have the time to watch all of the matches and keep up with Tennis Magazine and online. I can no longer name every player in the Top 10 along with their sponsors and coaches names, but my freakish love for the game never died.

I'm sad to hear that Andre Agassi is retiring and I can only hope he makes an awesome run all the way to winning the US Open! Other male players I like are Roger Federer (he's too good though!), Marat Safin, Mark Philippoussis (serious crush on him at one point), Andy Roddick (needs to get his game back, though), James Blake (he can make me nervous when he plays, too), and David Nalbandian. Previous players I was all about were Pete Sampras (of course!), Yevgeny Kafelnikov, and Goran Ivanisovic (mmmmhmmmm!).

On the womens side I like Maria Sharapova, Elena Dementieva (stupid serve), Martina Hingis (I hated her when she dominated though), Nicole Vaidosova, and usually anyone ekse from Russia. I can't stand Serena Williams or Justin Henin-Hardenne. Previous players I loved include Monica Seles (I MET HER!!!!!), Steffi Graf, Sylvia Talala (sp?), Mary Pierce and Lindsay Davenport (not playing Wimbeldon, I met her, too!).

I'm not making any predictions for the tourney just yet. I need to get a day or so of watching in first.


XO,
SVR

9 comments:

CBK said...

How could you POSSIBLY be a Steffi Graf fan AND a Monica Seles fan?!?! You're a traitor to Steffi and I'm telling!

Plus, Monica started that ghastly grunting trend and the two-handed forehand, for which I could never forgive her.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a blog, so I've had to do this anonymously...this is Cindy, by the way...

Ummmm, how could you forget the greatest tennis player ever to walk the Earth...ARANXTA SANCHEZ-VICARIO!!!! ;););)

And you didn't mention Rafael Nadal...not a fan of his?

Strangely I'm also a fan of Martina Hingis now. I hated her so much when she was winning all the time, but I've thought about it and came up with some reasons for the change of heart:

1. I hated her, but I REALLY HATED HER MOM, with her big poofy hair and ill-fitting hats. They don't show her any more (at least not that I've seen) which makes me happy.

2. She was so whiney and bitchy when she played before (remember her meltdown and resorting to underhand serves against Jennifer Capriati in the French finals like five years ago?) She doesn't seem to be like that any more.

3. I LOVE A COMEBACK STORY!!!!!!

minijonb said...

I'm a soccer fan and a tennis fan (altho, I don't follow tennis as much as I used to) --- now I've got all those stupid songs by Majesty Crush that they sang about Celebrity obsessions, Paris, Roland Garros and Monica Seles.

minijonb said...

{last post needed to end with} ...in my head {to make sense}

oh... here's a link about Majesty Crush

Miss Scarlet said...

CBK- I am no traitor! TAKE IT BACK! I love Seles, she's the one that got me back into it when she returned. Plus she was SO NICE WHEN I MET HER.

CINDY!- I know you love her but she's not one of my favorites, sorry! And I know I forgot people I like, too. Bust. I like Nadal but his wedgie picking as a negative is taking over any positives right now, haha.

Mini- I love soccer, too, but it's more about playing it for that one. tennis I can watch 24/7.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the tennis! You can tell it's Wimbledon this week... We've had fantastic weather here in the UK over the weekend, Monday and Wimbledon arrive and it starts raining! Typical :)

Here via the Complimenting Commenter.

Anonymous said...

i remember when the whole fam (all 29837 of us) were at the beach years ago and you never left the beach house and just sat and watched wimbledon all day and night and wouldn't let anyone change the channel. everyone hated you that week. ha

-ali

Miss Scarlet said...

Ali, It was the US Open and I don't care. It was awesome!

Unknown said...

hahahaha. I always liked the idea of playing tennis but never so much the idea of watching (though I have). I usually find amusement in the small things (i.e., grunting). Agassi has always been my favorite, though I can't swear it's because I thought he was hot.