Pages

Friday, June 30, 2006

Tight Pants

It may not always get from the pages of Vogue to my body but, I love fashion. I read no fewer than 10 fashion magazines a month and even rip out the "What's In" page from Bazaar every month to put on my closet door. I love to read US Weekly more to see what the stars are wearing than what they're doing. (Except for Brad Pitt-I like to what he's doing. Hooottttt!) Fashion photography takes my breath away and my favorite part of America's Next Top Model is at the end of the show when we get to see their pics.

Before I get into what I really want to talk about today, here are a few of my basic fashion rules:

1. Anything can be worn if worn with confidence (mismatched patterns, colors that don't normally go together, etc.)
2. Mismatched colors go together better than mismatched fabrics. (Example: a wool sweater and jersey knit skirt would look horrible and weird.)
3. Black rules. Black is always the new black.

So here is my problem. Leggings.



I know a lot of people have been cringing as these have come back into style but, personally, I think they look good on some people. (SOME!) Lindsay Lohan, for example, can pretty much wear anything and has been rocking the leggings lately. I even saw a girl in "real life" wearing a pair under a knee-length jean skirt that looked very good. And what could be cuter than making the transition from summer to fall by wearing a short jean skirt with leggings underneath?

So far though I have not been delusional enough to try this new fad. I'm almost certain it would look horrible and Anna Wintour would take away my subscription for Crimes Against Fashion. I'm so tempted but need to remind myself that just because Lindsay Lohan looks good in leggings, I most certainly will not.

Has anyone tried the leggings look outside of Hollywood? Has it worked? What are your thoughts? Any other fashion hottness you're totally loving or hating right now?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no fashion.

But I will not wear leggings. haha.

SCD

Jessica said...

You should discuss this with the lovely ladies at Go Fug Yourself, with whom I completely agree when it comes to the fact that leggings Are. Just. Wrong.

And bringing back the "Skinny" jean? Cruel and Unusual punishment, for both wear-ers and viewers alike. *shudder*

Miss Scarlet said...

I do think they look good on some people but overall it's too risky to try to pull off.

Yeah, Skinny jeans on anyone but Kate Moss are horrible.

Pagan Marbury said...

Say it isn't so. Although I admit I have a few left-over leggings from back in the day. I guess I can wear them to the gym.

Raincouver said...

Oh scarlett... how could you??? There goes my fantasies about you. crap shoot. poop.
:-(

Miss Scarlet said...

Let me reiterate that I will never wear leggings.

Raincouver! No, COME BACK!

Christina said...

I won't try it. I think if you're past high school, it just looks foolish. But La Lohan pulls it off. I won't take that away from her.

To be honest, though, ScaJo looks like a damn fool in them. Although I'll never get what the big deal is about her anyway.

Miss Scarlet said...

Yeah, I couldn't find a picture of Lindsay wearing them without it being too suspicious. "What is Scarlet looking at?!" A simple google image search for "leggings" and "vogue leggings" and "instyle Leggings" provided some interesting results.

Oh and the girl I saw wearing them-her's were just past the knees. The long ones (like Scarlett's), are way more difficult to pull off. Those are bad usually.

Miss Scarlet said...

Haylie Duff- Bad leggings.

(That IS Haylie, right??)

Alison Santighian said...

Wrong. I must admit, anything that recalls the '80s, I struggle with. Some things, though, like blouson tops and puffy sleeves, I've come to re-love.

But Leggings? No. Didn't look good then, doesn't look good now. On a celebrity or on anyone else.

I will say, if you're going to wear them (which I repeat: you shouldn't), you should wear the longer one - hitting right at the bottom of the calf - higher than that, and you're pushing it. Longer = better, but still wrong.

Anonymous said...

go fug yourself is one of the most awesome websites ever. i love the love-hate relationship with la lohan that runs throughout. :)

i say skip the leggings. they weren't cute in the 80s and they ain't cute now.

Miss Scarlet said...

I think only people with super thin legs can even think about wearing them (like Lindsay) therefore, there is no worry that I will ever, EVER wear them. I feel the need to reiterate this over and over to keep your respect:

I am not going to wear leggings. Ever. Never Ever. Ever!

Unknown said...

Wow...love the legging controversy! Here's my take. In general, I hated leggings then and now. BUT, you hit it right on the head with me. I have been loving the look of leggings with the right skirt on some celebs (repeat: some). It's just the right amount of quirky for me. I even deluded myself for a brief minute a month or so ago pondering the look on myself (not). The look is very much only one a select few can pull off, and I think you're 100% right in that it's a look that can only come close to looking right on those with skinny legs/calves.

Anonymous said...

Scarlett could wear leg warmers for all I care. She's still awesome.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE GOFUGYOURSELF. Makes me laugh every time.

I would have to agree with you Scarlet on the legging situation. I think it does look good on some people, but there's no way on God's green Earth I'm ever putting a pair on. Mostly I think this look only works for skinny preteen/early teen girls with super skinny legs, or members of young hollywood who look like they're preteen/early teenaged girls with SUPER skinny legs.

The current fashion trend (if you can call it that) that I'm COMPLETEL over is high school girls wearing mini jean skirts, slightly frayed at the bottom paired with a tanktop and those stupid half sweater pieces of crap that barely even cover their chest.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that was from Cindy, by the way...

Sparklebot said...

As a 6 ft tall woman with long, thin legs, I have to say that I'm totally rockin' the leggings and I totally adore it. I have nice legs--the rest of me could use some work--but, I'm showing off the leggings and I'm loving it.

Cheryl said...

I did try the leggins look...back in the 80s. That's my biggest reason for not liking that look now.

Miss Scarlet said...

Spencer- Scarlett Jo?

Cindy- Haha, you crack me up! I like that site, too.

Smash- YAY! Go, you!!!!

Cheryl- I would like to leave tube socks scrunched down in the 80s.