Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Big Things

Whenever I take those personality type tests where they ask "Are you detail-orientated or do you like the know the big picture?" I NEVER know how to answer. I have always had a problem with only being able to pick one because I don't understand not being interested in both.


I realized why I love conducting so much. Tonight I was working on my plans for tomorrow's classes and was looking over the exercise's score to see what new notes would be involved. It hit me how exciting it is to have every single part to the piece in my hands. Even in the orchestra I play in, I will buy the scores to the pieces we prepare. I go home and listen to it while following along in my own score, making marks for some future time when I'm called upon to conduct the piece;) But isn't that liking the details AND the big picture? How can both not be of equal importance.

Or, for example, when I used to be on the swim team. I was OBSESSED with the meet sheets that gave everyone's time and place. Hello, details, but I also had to know where I fit in overall...um, Big Picture, right? HOW DO THE TWO NOT GO HAND IN HAND????!!!!!


When I started this blog I initially was going to talk about my love of conducting. But as I waited for the page to load it hit me, "Wait a second, Scarlet, maybe this means you're detail orientated" and then I thought, "No, wait, wouldn't that be the big picture?" and by then I was thoroughly confused and off-subject so I went with it.

2 comments:

Pink Is Neat said...

I think that's cool you buy the entire score!

I usually like the details too... without them, there would BE no big picture. Maybe the ratio is 1:3?
hm.

Unknown said...

I love this about you.