Pages

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ocean City Girl

People sometimes wrinkle their nose when I say I’m going to The O.C. and they realize I mean Maryland and not Orange County*. To them it’s a trashy destination where the street number is inversely proportional to the number of STDs that are likely, but to me it’s 26 years of memories and traditions, summers, Thanksgivings, and New Years. High school beach week, day trips with Vanessa, and even going there vicariously with Ali to see Ashley Parker Angel earlier this summer.

I love it there because I know it. No ketchup at Thrashers and don’t be intimidated by a long line-they ARE worth it. Breakfast at Dumser’s where some adorable exchange student waiter will call us “ladies” and not think twice when we order milkshakes at breakfast. Avoiding eye contact with the key chain photographers on the beach who are always freakishly tan, but often incredibly hott. The shark at the end (beginning?) of the boardwalk and, of course, the rides that are still fun, even when we’re both adults.


Some things have changed, though. The little boardwalk trolley no longer runs the same and last year, I finally rode the damn thing when overcrowding during the 4th of July left us parked at the Convention Center. Last year, when some teenager asked me to buy beer, I realized that somehow I am now old. This was quite a shock, but one I am getting used to quickly since I can now enjoy the “after hours” parts of the city. (Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been able to enjoy the 21+ places for 5 years now.)

Ali and I are heading out at 4am tomorrow for a whirlwind long weekend of The OC-ness. We’re both super excited and have it planned so we get every tradition in and even a few new ones. I hope to come back with stories, boos!

XO,
SVR

6 comments:

KassyK said...

Have the best time...I've never been to OC bc I grew up less than 10 minutes from the Jersey Shore so I cannot imagine "weekends" at the beach...more like day trips but I get it. Those are my beaches too and no matter what...we LOVE them. :-) Have fun!!!!!!!

Flora Pang said...

Who could not think of OC as in Orange County after that successful tv series...

I kinda like that "may or may not be a Russian spy" part. A LoT.

Anonymous said...

I want to go, next time we can take the kids...what could be more fun than dragging two screaming babies around OC?

Marissa said...

Have so much fun!

Miss Scarlet said...

Kassyk- Thanks! And day trips would be more often if gas wasn't so expensive=/

Flora pang- Haha, true true.

Stephanie- Aww babies!

Arebelsong- haha, that would have been funny if we ran into each other there.

Marissa- Thanks! We did!

Anonymous said...

Hey - Ocean City Girl is a great song by Ivy - you should check it out.