Pages

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Duality

I have this weird music crush on Corey Taylor. And it's not a "He's hott!" thing because I've never seen him in person and most photos of him are with his Slipknot mask on.

(Yes, he's the singer of Slipknot. Yes, I have a music crush on the singer of Slipknot. Shut up.)

I actually kind of like Slipknot and own all of their albums. Again, shut up. My first CT song I heard was actually "Bother" by Stone Sour, recommended by a friend. I think, at the time, I really related to the "diaries left with cryptic entries" part as I was in my Blue Period of having no job and a lot of other stuff going on while in Richmond. I famously would make cryptic posts that said a lot, but you really coldn't tell. Fast forward a few years later and that same friend asked me to go to the Slipknot concert with him. I admit I was a little terrified. I've been to plenty of hardcore punk shows where people stepped on my head or jumped off of my shoulders, but those shows have a sort of group solidarity feel where you know that 99% of the people there are looking out for each other. It's 1% jackass who don't care if they kick someone in the face. I feared that a Slipknot show would be 99% jackass with the type of moshing that really is about hurting people. And yes, I also admit that the Skipknot masks scare me, too. Kind of in the same way that I can't finish Donnie Darko because the bunny scares the crap out of me. Same with It. No thanks!

I didn't end up going. That's actually another story that we will NOT get into, but I was disappointed I wouldn't get to hear Vermillion Pt. 2 live. LUCKILY, Vanessa and I already had plans to go to DC101's Kegs and Eggs where none other than COREY TAYLOR was scheduled to appear. If you've ever been to Kegs and Eggs you know that at the same time it's the most miserable time and the best time while you are there. Ass-early morning, long bathroom lines, expensive beer, and drunken fools, but I was going to get to see Corey Taylor UP CLOSE. So after Sum 41 played (Derrick Whibly is tiny!), we pushed our way up front and waited. And waited. And waited. And then we heard one of the other Slipknot band members on their being interviewed and saying that Corey Taylor was sick and would not be playing Kegs and Eggs.

I was beyond disappointed which then made me angry at my "friend" for being a total douchebag about the concert. So I still haven't seen him live and still want to. I have such a music crush on that voice!

XO,
SVR

P.S. And as Wikepdia reports, his wife's name is SCARLET(T)!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Didn't Slipknot play somewhere in the area again in the past couple of months? I remember when you were supposed to go see them last year. Here's what I have to say to your "friend"...asshole.

Miss Scarlet said...

Flameon- I'm not sure if they toured again. It's not really a show I'd go to. It would be expensive and, like I said, I'd be scared;) He was an asshole about that. His loss. Oh wait, I was a bitch, too;)

Ant- I totally understand. I used to make fun of them, but I love his voice on the slow stuff. Mmmm!