Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Bad Day

I hate that song. Daniel Powter should be fined for writing such an irritating song.

That being said, it's the perfect title for today's post as it seems like everyone I've encountered today is in a bad mood or seriously on edge. I started off my day in a horrible mood full of expletives and curses for the world, especially for the laundry monster who is obviously stealing my clothes because I had not a thing to wear today. But the difference between my bad mood and those around me, is that mine does not affect my interactions with other people or my work. I just said this to my boss, in an email, and she wrote back, "I didn't know you had bad moods."

This is where the people who really know me, like my sister Ali, start laughing as they KNOW I had bad moods and definitely let everyone know. But generally, I leave my bad moods out of my interactions with people. It's a fine line between walking on eggshells for someone and getting your head bit off and I want nothing to do with that tightrope of awkwardness. Being quiet is fine. Take a step back, limit your run-ins with people and then, once you're in better spirits, come back out and join us. But, in the meantime, don't walk around like we all owe you something and should be washing and kissing your feet, making sure you're okay. And if I do need to interact with you, like is often the case in a WORK ENVIRONMENT, don't take your effing bad mood out on me! It's not my fault your panties (or boxers) are in a bunch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting this song in my head. Believe it or not, this song is on my ipod. I think it was the free itunes song one week and I downloaded it.

Weird Al needs to do a parody.

Check out his Weird Al You're Pitiful parody

dara said...

Your comment about your sister goes to prove something I've always suspected. There are the people who know you well -- and love you anyway -- that let you get away with (or abuse them with?) mood swings so that you can remain on an even keel with the people that don't, can't, or won't take it.

Unknown said...

Awesome advice.

Miss Scarlet said...

Spencer- haha, I hate this song so much. I have heard Your Pitiful, it's hilarious.

Dara- Yeah, I definitely have that outlet with family;)

Flameon- Even though they should, I hope noone from work reads this;)

Marci said...

Oh, I heart that song! And I heart the video even more! I wonder if I like the song more because of the video...it's possible. Is it really that bad?

Alison Santighian said...

I think the Laundry Monster is in all of our closets, too - see my post from today!

I think you've just named a real evil - he went unnamed before (it must be a he) - and now that you've named him (yes, yes, for those of you thinking of Voldemort), we can fight him!