Pages

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Hop Hop Quotables

In addition to my dream of one day stepping on stage and conducting a piece after the maestro falls ill, I've always wanted to step up to the turntables and spin an amazing set that causes the true geniuses of that music field to declare me a remarkable natural.

I used to practice when working at my brother's store down in Richmond and when I had no customers, I would turn down the in-store music and try to mix my own records. I found out, though, I'm not that good. I like it A LOT, but I think not being familiar with the records and being worried about who would see me caused me to not concentrate as hard as I probably needed to. I'm still confident that if the opportunity presented itself, I would step up and be awesome.

I thought I was going to have one of those moments today. Serena and I went to the DC Hip-Hop Theatre Festival at Benning Park expecting to find hip-hop dance lessons, graffiti workshops, and DJ demonstrations. I think we hit just the DJ demonstrations and I guess the dance lessons and graffiti workshops were either over or still to come. This was unfortunate since, seeing as how I'm addicted to So You Think You Can Dance?, I would consider myself a hip-hop afficionado*. Despite the disgusting heat of today, I kind of wanted to have the chance to show off my sweet moves. (I also wanted to flirt with the teachers, but alas, none were to be found.)

We were brought up on the little stage where they had 4 turntables set up and the instructors were talking about different scratching techniques. I thought we were going to get a chance to try it out, but unfortunately again, it didn't work out. We got a short lesson on the parts of the turntables and mixers (all of which I know, but that's ok, I'm a dork) and then they took their lunch break-BUST! No scratching and master spinning from DJ SVR today, kids. Next time.

Techno


*SOOOOOOO kidding. So so so so so kidding.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least the kiddos were cute and we did something different : )

I say we host our own version of 'So You Think You Can Dance?'