Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Weather Forecasts And Storm Warnings

Civil War Cotillion. What do you think of when you hear that? Because I thought it was going to be a bunch of 15 year olds coming out to society while either wearing corsets or with civil war reenactors as the entertainment. Let me back up though...

As I am always looking for something free to do, I jumped at the chance to use Ali's comp ticket for this thing she and Allie were playing music for. Turns out it was the Civil War Cotillion, but I guess it was a fundraiser type of thing for a new theatre group. Tickets were $50 though and as a comp ticket holder I got to enjoy the open bar from 6-7 and the catered food. And the rain. Lots and lots of rain from about 6:45pm on. For awhile everyone escaped up under the ampitheatre and the Al(l)i(e)s along with 2 others played waltzes and polkas for the dancing.

Oh yes, the dancing! Serena and I did partake in one of them, but the dance went on and on and on and wasn't on the beat or with the phrases so it was driving me crazy. Also, I was kind of loud with my laughing and commentary so that was the only dance I joined in for. It was fun to watch though, especially the people in the Civil War outfits which were GORGEOUS.

After about an hour of watching the dancing we noticed that the people who had escaped under the far tent were eating! So at a break in the rain we ran to that tent to get some food for ourselves and the Al(l)i(e)s. I fed Ali a crabcake while she played. She's THAT good at the violin, didn't even miss a beat!

I was exhausted though, having worked 9-5 at Barnes and Noble, so by 10pm when the thing was STILL going on, I thought I was going to have to lay on the ground and sleep. We were wet and thirsty and tired so when the musicians were finally released, we jetted out of there.

The ride home was funny, too. Allie gave the 18 year old cello player a ride home and we teased him about Magic the Gathering (he doesn't play anymore) and his girlfriend (third).

I'll have pictures Monday...

6 comments:

Alison Santighian said...

So...they were in costume & performing Civil-War-era dances? I wish you had pictures...

Miss Scarlet said...

Ha, I'll post some pics on Monday once I'm at work with the high speed internet.

Anonymous said...

You were always a sucker for men in uniforms, weren't you, even if they were from the Civil War?

Beakerz said...

sounds like a good time had by all. :)

Pink Is Neat said...

My fingers still hurt from playing.

It was fun though.

I got mad(der) at Jon because he kept saying that we couldn't drink until afterwards and then at a break he was sitting up there with a drink.

Unknown said...

I have never laughed so hard while dancing. I kept trying to think of ways to get you to crack. Hahaha.