Pages

Monday, March 20, 2006

Electric Village

On par with small talk and its relationship to all things hell-like, you know what else just drives me crazy? Obvious jokes. You know the ones:

"Leftovers, eh? You gonna share with me? Hehehe!"

"Oh you went to Starbucks and didn't get me something? OHhh man! Next time you better get me something!"

"Bet you're enjoying this weather, huh?"

"Frankly, my dear..."


What I want to respond with is:

"Share with you? Maybe if we both go back in time and you pay for half."

"Why would I get you something? Our work relationship isn't even worth the nasty-ass, burnt drip coffee in the kitchen here. You think I'm going to spend $4 on you?"

"Enjoying this weather? Is this you're idea of a joke because we all know I prefer cold weather and spring is starting? Because man-oh-man, you are the FIRST person to remind me that it's warm outside. Let me make an appropriate gesture so you know how I really feel."

"Gone With The Wind!? WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!"




It can be downright painful sometimes. I am not afraid of silence and I don't get why some people feel the need to fill the beauty of it with small talk and obvious jokes. If you really want to fill the silence, sing a showtune or something. Now THAT would be funny!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Oh, you are such a DARLING!"

SD

Miss Scarlet said...

Oh, kind of off subject but when people ask if I realize what my name sounds like...I mean, really! I've had it for 26 years, do they think I haven't put two and two together?

Cheryl said...

That WOULD be funny...and these are not. You are so right.

Miss Scarlet said...

I hear them mostly from people at work...You would think that after a year they would be able to have a normal conversation with me.

Unknown said...

What about blog silence? Is it better to have no comments or comment with something inane?