Pages

Friday, March 03, 2006

It Came From Japan

Happy Hinamatsuri!

And reasons #43 and #43892 why I am a nerd:


#43: I wrote up on the spare dry erase board in my office interesting things about March 3rd. Did you know that Bizet's Carmen premiered on March 3rd in 1875? Or that Tone-Loc celebrates his 44th birthday today? Elvis was on TV for the first time the 3rd day of March in 1955. And I was so excited to find out that wikipedia has a page all about today! And if they have a page about today, then there must be pages for all the other days! A new dry erase board topic for Every Day Of The Year!


Why does this make me happy?



#43892: Hinamatsuri is a Japanese Doll Festival and I won't get into details about the celebration but it reminded me of when I was younger and decided I wanted to learn Japanese. It wasn't the first time I had expressed an interest in languages. When I was in Kindergarten I told my mom I wanted to learn Chinese but the school laughed at her when she recommended they offer it to us. (Bastards!) Anyway, so when I was like, 14 or so I saw that the PBS station showed Japanese lessons every day at 4pm and I decided to 'take them'. I even bought a notebook for my new 'class' and diligently watched the 30 minute (dry as a bone) program each day. I forget what finally distracted me from my language learning but to this day I can say, "My name is Scarlet" in Japanese.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to admit that I am continually surprised by your dorkiness.

I always wanted to learn French but my mom pushed me into Spanish (it was Texas). I don't regret Spanish, but French is a more useful UN language for someone wanting to live in Africa.

Miss Scarlet said...

I forgot to mention that when I was 8 or 9 I used to read my brother's French textbook and make him teach me the numbers. How is THAT for dorky?

Unknown said...

Pretty darned dorky ; )

I-66 said...

I'm so playing Wild Thing on my iPod in a second here.

Miss Scarlet said...

However, I make up for any dorkiness with a hella lot of coolness!

The Complimenting Commenter said...

That is so cool. Those are some great reasons. I have a "Today in History" book that I bring out all the time to see what happened on a particular day. To find it on Wikipedia for free is even better.

Amanda said...

oh my gosh! i love this! i am totally going on wikipedia for their "day" update...and i remember those scary japanese lessons. though at 4pm after school i was watching matlock. and finally, i LOVE dry erase boards. seriously. i am as big a nerd as you are...stand tall, sister!

Amy said...

There *is* a page for every day of the year!

Miss Scarlet said...

I just found out that my birthday is also National Cabbage Day!!!!


?

CBK said...

There's nothing wrong with being a cool nerd.