Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Say Yes

So I made this mix and I can't stop listening to it:

1. "Hear You Me"- Jimmy Eat World:
This song is also in Cinderella Story which is a movie about text messaging and IMing-loves it! But really, I love Jimmy Eat World.

2. "Birdwatcher"- Malcolm Middleton: "Tonight I'm lonely, tonight I'm blue in the heart" Malcolm Middleton is in the running to be the most depressed man on earth. This is actually one of his upbeat songs.

3. "Endlessly"- Muse:
This should so be my anthem. I can't give up on anything. This song is so obsessive and passionate in its lyrics that I can't help but listen to it over and over in my own obsessive and passionate way.

4. "To Sheila"- Smashing Pumpkins:
This is the song that reminded me why I love The Smashing Pumpkins. I remember buying "Adore" in Wal Mart (ugh) with my mom and instantly knowing that this song was it. Billy Corgan's voice has so much to it, I love him.

5. "Hurt"- Johnny Cash:
I don't mean to be so cliche in my love for this cover but I can't help it. The video makes me misty every time. His warbly voice and Trent Reznor's words is the perfect combination. Honestly, the song is beautiful. Make fun of me, I don't care.

6. "Love's Lost Guarantee"- Rogue Wave:
"Love comes like a Kennedy curse"...this song makes me feel like I'm driving at night at the beach. There is a lightness to the music and singing but the words have a heaviness to them that doesn't let it all float away.

7. "Say Yes"- Elliott Smith:
Great use of cuss words in the song. Seriously. It's just enough and it cuts through pretty melody.

8. "Miss You Love"- Silverchair: My sister has good taste in music and if there is one band we both have a lasting love for, it's Silverchair. The fact that Daniel Johns was writing Frogstomp as a young teen is insane. And to continue to produce what, in my opinion, are outstanding tracks shows what a great gift he has. His songs, especially this one, are so dramatic both in words and instrumentation.

9. "Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying"- Belle & Sebastian: This is like the 'light hearted' part of the mix. I've heard this song a gazillion times since my college roommate was totally in love with Belle & Sebastian. It makes me want to dance as it reminds me of Mousetrap.

10. "Of A Broken Heart"- Zwan:"I'm not impressed with your loneliness" Amen!

11. "More You Understand"- Howie Day:I love to sing along to this one. Hmmm, "And I would fall 1000 miles And you would fall fast to denial"


12. "Hello Daylight"- Arab Strap:
I love Arab Strap. They're from Scotland and they say cunt a lot.

13. "Choking Tara (Creamy Version)"- Guided By Voices: Kind of a random inclusion but I liked it

14. "To Be Alone With You"- Sufjan Stevens:
Another theme song perhaps...well, the first half at least.

15. "One Night Is Not Enough"- Snow Patrol:
I consider them from Scotland, by the way. The regret portion of the evening.

16. "No Surprises"- Radioheaad: The Sophie's Choice of the mix: Trying to decide WHICH Radiohead song to include.

17. "The Sound Of Settling"- Death Cab For Cutie:
Ben Gibbard knows how we do.

18. "Gone"- NSync:
Britney! Go back to Mr. JT!!!!!

19. "Folk Death 95"- Mogwai: How can you beat an instrumental song that says so much. I love this one. I always end up listening to track 19 a few times to hear that big, loud part in the middle.



Anyway, I just have really been enjoying this mix CD. I'm not sure what inspired such a depressing and sad mix because lately it's just been the same old stuff going on. The same "Not enough of ____", "Too many____", "I need ____", "I miss ____" and so on.


(For more song reviews, check out ipodupod!)

5 comments:

rooroo said...

yay music reviews! i am so gonna download some of this music. i love cash's "hurt" too, i suppose it is a little cliche but i think johnny has enough cred to pull it off so don't be embarrassed. also, that zwan lyric is awesome, i can't wait to hear the song. thanks. :)

Miss Scarlet said...

Yeah Johnny Cash is the man. He literally sounds 'hurt' in that song....I think I need to listen to it right now!

Glad you enjoyed the reviews:)

Unknown said...

Make me a copy! Or maybe not...I don't need more music to make me overthink.

Miss Scarlet said...

Just you wait;) MUAHAHHHHAH!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with liking Johnny Cash, & his cover of 'Hurt' is a brilliant song. I really must get around to buying the album that it's taken off.

I've got the first of his 'American Recordings' albums, & my favourite track on that is his reworking of his own song 'Delia's Gone'.