Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

More You Understand

I was watching One Tree Hill (shut up) the other night and remarking on how identical my own high school experience was when what do I hear? That Jimmy Eat World would be playing at Tric! The first time I saw Jimmy Eat World the lead singer, Jim Adkins yelled at the audience for crowd surfing onto the stage and hitting his microphone. He had a valid point: Why the hell would anyone crowd surf to Jimmy Eat World? It's like they forgot to turn their iPods off and Strike Anywhere is still on or something. I saw them again two or three times and by then "The Middle" had come out so I was in that group who could say things like, "Have you ever heard of Clarity*?" with utter disgust. The last time I saw them live was at last year's Chili Cook Off (was it last year?) when they played with Cake and other bands I don't remember because who cares when JEW and Cake (who I met, by the way) are there? Anyway, so people are creating circle pits (?!) during Jimmy Eat World's set but I figure I'm safe bc I'm near the front but on the side. Little did I know though that the crowd was about to "Great White" on me! Have you ever had the crowd fall on you? It hurts and it's terrifying. I started screaming like a maniac ("GET OFF!") but after the fact I realized that when I fell I didn't reach back to break my fall (actually, the guy behind me did, thanks dude) but clutched tightly to the camera and poster in my hands. It was frightening but we lived (obviously) and even went on to be hit on by many a drunk guy that afternoon. I was pissed though because it started raining which caused two things:
1) big hair
2) not being able to meet Jimmy Eat World for which I had a special bracelet for



I started this post to talk about the awesome mix I made but I don't want this to get too long so I'll make it a separate one but just remember that I was watching One Tree Hill when I heard a sad song that inspired me to put the mix together...

2 comments:

CBK said...

Clarity is my favorite of their albums, with Static Prevails a close second. And I didn't get into them until I heard "Bleed American" on Craig Kilborne, but you have to learn the old stuff or you're just a poseur.

Miss Scarlet said...

Exactly...I just think that only knowing the radio singles is pretty weak. I didn't get into Braid until I heard Hey Mercedes but now I have all of their stuff so it's ok:)