Pages

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Time Is Running Out

New game here at SVR. Many of you might not realize but every post title comes from a song and almost every band used is listed on the right hand side. So, each post I make, try to guess which band it's from! Just place your guess in the comments and it would be more fun not to cheat but since I am google's #1 fan I would certainly understand using it:)

Next order of business:

HOW THE HELL IS IT ALMOST APRIL!? (How the hell is it April of 2006?) I have a lot I meant to get done but time just keep whooshing by. ("whooshing"? really?)

1. I was supposed to have learned the Russian alphabet by January 1st 2004 or something to then move on to learning the language.
2. I was supposed to start writing my symphony by 2003. Just start it! Even just 1 note on a page and I would have started.
3. I keep meaning to rent an oboe. I REALLY (desparately) want a bassoon but since they're uber expensive I was going to start with renting an oboe. I need to learn all the band instruments and all I have left are oboe, trombone, percussion (ugh, maybe I'll skip that)...I consider all saxes the same and all other brass the same so those are covered.
4. My novel has not been started.
5. My screenplay is still in the outline stage.


Ok really, why keep this list going. So there are a lot of things I want to be doing but unless I get my dream job (see below), I will have to be content with what I am getting done now.


Dream Job:
1000-1100am Check email/read blogs
1100-1200pm Make mix CDs
1200-130pm Lunch/Reading books, magazines, etc.
130-200pm Check email/read blogs
200-400pm Work on designated "hobby" (A rotation of activities including the list of activites above)
400-430pm Actual work for whatever company is paying me.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you just described the dream job of 90% of people online. I've almost stopped keeping a list of all the projects/hobbies I want to start.

*clears throat* I'm trying not to take offense to you lumping all brass instruments under the category of "the same". ; )

Miss Scarlet said...

The same in that the techniques are pretty much the same. I can play trumpet, baritone, flugal horn so picking up tuba or something is going to be similar. Saxes are all reed instruments with similar fingerings. Oboe/Bassoon are double reed instruments, etc. That's all I meant:)

Oh, forgot that I need to learn French Horn, too.

Cheryl said...

I would like that job too. I probably have a list like this too. It's amazing how time whooshes, isn't it?

Cheryl said...

Not sure I can place this title, but two titles ago "We Have the Facts..." is Death Cab for Cutie.

Unknown said...

Time Is Running Out by Muse?

(yes, I cheated and used google.)

CBK said...

I've got you beat on the symphony! I wrote down a few bars of the first movement a couple years ago in law school, and then abandoned it.

"Champagne from a Paper Cup" a few posts ago was also DCFC. "The Bronze Medal" = Idlewild. I recognize "Serve the Servants", but can't think of who it is. I think "Welcome to the Monkey House" is a Kurt Vonnegut book title. If it's also a song title, I don't know it.

CBK said...

Duh!! Nirvana on the "Servants".

Pink Is Neat said...

I knew it was Muse without googling it, so I win.

Song titles as post titles is INGENIOUS I wonder where you got the idea from... :-)

Miss Scarlet said...

Cheryl- Correct!

Neil- The survey was just for the world but upping it to the universe is fine too. I'm confident I'd beat those hott aliens!

Flameon- Correct!

CBK- Correct! And "Welcome to the Monkey House" from Dandy Warhols

Happily Sarcastic- Not you

Anthony said...

Get going with the symphony, Scarlett, don't let it remain a pipe dream. Compare the number of people with the intention of writing one with those who've actually done so - I bet you'd sooner be part of the former.

If you're worried about the quality of the music you write, look on it as a practice run. Bruckner wrote two symphonies before getting round to number 1 and my own first is really more of a divertimento. It takes time to fine-tune compositional skills when it comes to big works, so take your time and don't be afraid to make mistakes.